In Season: Beetroot!
Beetroot is a firm British favourite and August is the best month to buy it as it’s at the peak of it’s season! However, many people will assume that by beetroot, we mean crinkle cut and swamped in vinegar. This is a shame because fresh beetroot has a beautiful flavour and you may be surprised by how subtle it actually is! It’s described as sweet, slightly earthy with a smooth and velvety texture. Yum!
Some beetroot facts for you…..
1. Beetroot is a Hangover cure. HORAAH!!!! Betacyanin, the pigment that gives beetroot its amazing colour, is an antioxidant. It speeds up detoxification in your liver, which enables your body to get the hangover causing chemicals out of your system much quicker!
2. Beetroot contains betaine, a substance that relaxes the mind and is used in other forms to treat depression. It also contains similar chemicals found in chocolate which make you feel happy!
3. You can use beetroot juice to measure acidity. When added to an acidic solution it turns pink, but when it is added to an alkali it turns yellow. When you would ever need to use this we’re not sure!
4. Beetroot can be made into a wine that tastes similar to port, which is why many people enjoy beetroot with cheese. Like our recipe below!
5. To cure the inevitable 'pink fingers'' when cooking beetroot, rub with lemon juice and salt before washing with soap and water. On fabrics, try rubbing a slice of raw pear on the stain before washing, or rinse in cold water before washing in a biological powder.
Summery Brunch ToastYou will need:
Soft Goats Cheese, Lemon, Dill, Sourdough Bread, Raw Beetroot, Lambs lettuce, Spring onions, Dijon mustard.
1. Heat grill to medium. In a large bowl, beat together the cheese, mustard and spring onions. Toast your sourdough bread to a light golden brown colour. Spoon the goat’s cheese mixture onto your toast. Put back under the grill for 8-10 mins or until golden.
2. Chop the beetroot into large chunks and coarsely grate. Add half the chopped dill and the lemon juice, and stir to combine.
3. Serve your cheese on toast topped with a spoonful of the beetroot, scatter with the remaining chopped dill and lambs lettuce on the side.
At Simply Kitchens we look at every aspect of your family life before designing your kitchen. We believe that everyone is different and will create the perfect kitchen to fit your family’s needs.